Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Ugly Bean Dip Recipe

This is a revised version of the Ugly Bean Dip recipe I posted back in 2011. Same ingredients, just an updated post for the new page. 

My best friend shared this with me years ago and I have been sharing it with people in turn. I have changed it up a bit over the years and it just keeps getting better. I get requests for the recipe every time I make it so here it is! It makes a large portion and is quite a bit of prep work, but it is so delicious and good for you!



Thanks Nikki for the picture of this glorious mess.


This is made in two parts. I used to make the "dressing" the night before to chill over night then make the rest the next day. HOWEVER, lately I have started making the dressing and tossing it in the fridge to chill while I prepare the veggies and beans. This works just as well.





The Dressing
1 cup Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (reduced fat or fat free)
½ cup creamy Italian dressing (fat free)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp pepper
1 ½ tsp Tabasco
1 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp fresh cilantro (chopped-or buy it in the jar like me cause I'm lazy)


The Ugly Stuff
1 cup bell pepper (chopped) [*See notes]
1 cup red onion (chopped)
2 jalapenos, diced (Remove the seeds!)
2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
2 cans shoe peg corn (drained)
2 plum or roma tomatoes, (diced and remove seeds)


If you have a food processor, your time will be cut in half for this part. Ours bit the dust so I chop it all by hand now. It's grand fun. 


*I always used a green pepper for this, but the last batch I made I used red, orange, and yellow! Not only did the dip LOOK tastier, but it tasted a bit sweeter and, in my opinion, better.



Thanks to Manda for sharing this with me and Nikki for letting me yoink her picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment