Thursday, October 1, 2015

October: Pumpkins and Plots


It’s finally October, everyone! October is the most perfect month ever. 

Autumn weather and sweaters, sugar comas resulting from an unhealthy amount of candy consumption, dressing up like someone (or something) you’re not, shaking down your neighbors for candy, and plotting for National Novel Writing Month.

Were you expecting that last one? If you weren’t, you must be new here.

Yes, my friends, October is the best. I love everything about it and will spend a good portion of the month plotting murders for my November writing project (if I never post again, it’s because the fuzz confiscated my computer. I should probably get rid of the harpoon in the shed).

October also means that I get to look at the tenth Doctor all month. Rawr!


Starting today, you have 31 days to ponder, plan, prepare, and plot a story to write in November. I know that the idea of writing 50,000 words in 30 days is daunting, but it can be done. I admit, gorging on Thanksgiving delicacies and starting hibernation early sounds like a much better time than spelunking for all that creativity you’ve pushed into the back of your cavernous mind. Even if you don’t “win”, giving it a shot is a really great feeling and a first step. 

It’s like putting your foot in the door of the world of writing. If you dive right in, start penning those day dreams or nightmares, you will grow as a writer and a person.

How to Get Started

Think of a story: Look around your Mind Palace or find prompts online (just search for writing prompts on Google or Pinterest and you won’t be disappointed. Frightened, maybe…). Plot it out, think of where it's going and how you want to get there. Who are the characters? Where does it take place? 

Determine how you want to write: Pen and paper, computer, typewriter, quill, stone slab and chisel, etc.

Write! It takes about 1,667 words per day to get to 50k in the month of November. You may not be able to write every single day, but then again you may get some crazy flow and inspiration and do 3-4k in one day and 2k another day that will make up for missed time. 

How to Keep Going

Find a writing group or some friends. I love my fellow wordsmiths. Since I joined them, my writing has improved, not just structurally but the quality of it as well. A writing group participating in NaNoWriMo is especially supportive because they are going through the same struggle. They can answer questions you have and recommend places for research and ideas. If they meet regularly and have prizes and contests like mine, that can be a great motivator. If you go to the NaNoWriMo website, you can find a group in your area. 

Read More. I struggle with reading. Throughout my years of education I was always forced to read books that did not interest me and rather than read in my free time, I chose video games. It wasn’t until recently that I started reading for enjoyment and it has helped with my writing style as well.

Reserve time in your schedule to write. Find a comfortable place and put on your headphones. Give your spouse some money to take the kids for ice cream. Free yourself from the shackles of responsibility for an hour or two and tell us a story! I’m so fortunate to have a husband who supports me and gives me the space I need to write.

Reserve time away from your writing to relax. If you work all day then write all night, you might burn out and quit. Take time to stretch or play a game. Watch a movie or take a ballroom dancing class. Try to write every day to build up the discipline, but don’t make it a chore that will kill the enjoyment.



Since we won't be having any Villarian Chronicles posts this month, I'm going to be posting different things related to NaNoWriMo as well as Halloween-appropriate short stories.
So keep an eye out for things to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment